In some cases, whiplash associated injuries can take months or years to fully subside. Chronic whiplash symptoms include:
- Pain and stiffness in the neck, shoulders, and arms
- Persistent headache in the base of the skull
- Poor concentration
- Memory loss
- Anxiety and depression
What causes chronic whiplash?
Only an average of 10 percent of whiplash patients develop chronic whiplash. The causes of this condition are still unclear, although excessive immobilization instead of treating the injury with therapeutic exercise is thought to be a major part of the problem.
Chronic whiplash treatment
Similar to regular whiplash treatment, scientific evidence suggests that keeping the neck mobile will serve to help you heal more quickly. Treatments may include:
- Pain management medication to relieve long-standing pain that interferes with day-to-day activity. The pain management specialists at Sall Myers will help you find the combination that works best for you, while keeping you safe and avoiding hampering your lifestyle.
- Whiplash physical therapy will help you regain strength and range of motion in the area, eventually assisting you in returning to pain-free movement.
- Psychological therapy is often a necessary addition to treatment for chronic whiplash patients. Suffering severe pain for months or years, combined with the stress of an auto accident, can leave patients with intense anxiety or depression.
If you’ve been in a car accident in New Jersey and need whiplash treatment, please call us at 866-609-4448 or fill out our quick contact form for a FREE consultation.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/44/d157698815/htdocs/rptanaka/sallmyersdemo/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405